Tuesday, May 16, 2017

I'm a bad writer (who is totally okay with that.)

Hey there,
Using a blog for it's intended purpose feels weird these days. I used to keep blogs like online diaries, hoping to be plucked from obscurity like Milk and Honey (R. Kaur). Unfortunately that never happened and now I just have a truly remarkable log of all my most embarrassing thoughts, tantrums, and occasional flashes of brilliance. Writing those blogs (and this one) encouraged my love of words and the way you could string them together.
But I have a confession.

I'm a really bad writer.

First off, I don't write enough. I've been working on the same three stories off and on for like 5 years. I'm less then 5k for each one. I post poetry when I get emotional or if I have an extra special thing to say.
Second, my poetry isn't really that great. A lot of it is rushed and ill composed, lacking in theme and structure. Following that, they get repetitive (though arguably Shakespeare wrote like 100+ sonnets about the same 5 people *hint: none of them his wife.) How many poems comparing love/life/ the human soul/etc. to starlight does the world really need.

However I have one thing a lot of 'good' writers lack;
The drive to get better. For a while my poetry was getting pretty good (it's 'cause I started writing them and then waiting to publish and editing.) So, yeah, I'm kinda bad at being a writer, but I can get better.

And at least it's better then pumping out 150+ that are all basically the same (*coughPATTERSONcough*)
-H.L.Vand

No comments:

Post a Comment